Thank you for stopping by Guam Restaurants. What we have provided here on this website is probably the most comprehensive Guam restaurant guide you will ever find online. We have been living in Guam for over 50 years and we have seen a lot of changes going on with the types of restaurants that have come and gone.
Guam Restaurants Criteria-Selection
We will cover what was popular back then, and what is popular now. We will mention about food that has been popular for the last 50 years and continue to be the main favorite among the locals – Chamorro food.
We will recommend one to three of the best Guam restaurants in several popular categories, for example the best 3 Italian restaurants in Guam, the top 3 Guam Mexican restaurants, the top 3 Chinese restaurants, the top hamburger joints in Guam, the best sandwich shops in Guam, the best coffee shops in Guam, the best Korean restaurants in Guam, and so and so on, you get what we mean.
Our criteria for the selection of these restaurants will be the taste of their food of course, the location, the atmosphere, the price and (the most important criteria of all) their service. After all they are not only in the food business, they actually are under the service business.
The information gathered here is provided by both our staff and the owners of the restaurants in Guam.
The comments and the ratings that you see here – well we left that up to you the readers. If you like (or hate) your experience in any of the Guam restaurants (the restaurants that are listed here on our Guam restaurant guide) please say so and thank you so much for doing it. You will be helping out many fellow Guam restaurant goers.
Why you should listen to us
Have you ever gone to other cities in the world? Have you visited friends and family that live hundreds of miles away from where you live? Do you know the best restaurants to eat for certain types of dishes in your town? If you answered yes to all three questions then please continue reading.
- Who knows the best places to eat in a town or city? The locals, the local people who have been living there for years. Why would you want to listen to them? Because they have tried every new restaurant that opened in their city. They have already spent the money and time tasting the food.
- That is what we offer you here at Guam Restaurants, we offer you our time and we have spent our money so you don’t have to.
- If you love eating out, then you know that the prettiest looking building doesn’t always have the best tasting food.
- Oh, by the way, we are not getting compensated for reviewing these Guam restaurants. In fact many are probably angry since most of them are not included in our site.
- Our list is constantly updated – Some Guam restaurants will sometimes fail to meet our criteria after a certain time due to change of restaurant ownership and management. For example, back in the 1970s a popular Japanese restaurant called Yakitori had three thriving restaurants in Guam. After a few years the owner sold his restaurants and decided to open a restaurant in San Diego, California – he also decided to bring with him all his talented staff. Within a few months the new owner and staff of Yakitori started losing their customers due to the poor taste in food and their poor service, within two years the restaurant was completely closed down. So be sure to come back often to our site to check for any changes in our list, or better yet fill out the form below to get on our mailing list.
Restaurants in Guam – A Brief History
1960s – There were very few restaurants in the 60s, not many people ate out. Dairy Queen, R & W Hamburgers, Sargosi’s Pizza – most of the restaurants were located in Agana or East Agana.
1970s – McDonalds, Kings, Kenneys, Chuck Steak House, KFC, Yakitori Restaurants, restaurants started to pop up in Tamuning-Tumon area – The largest McDonalds’ in the world was built in Guam… it started the first chain of fast food shop that brought in cheap and quick hamburgers for the local residents, it also brought in the first 24 hour shop for adults and teenagers.
1980s – Hotel Restaurants, Shirleys, Winchells, Pizza Hut, Sizzlers – Agana and Tumon restaurants – at the time Sizzler’s in Agana had the best salad bar in Guam. The best Mexican restaurant in Guam was run by a great Korean couple.
1990s – Coffee Shops, Jungle Java – Micronesian Mall, Capriciosa, Jamaican Grill, Mexican – Micronesian Mall was built in the 1980s but it didn’t have a food court worth going to a the time. The most popular eatery there was the Guam’s Denny’s restaurant.
Capriciosa – started as a franchise in Japan, so, you guessed it, the first owner in Guam for Capriociosa Italian restaurant in Guam is Japanese – best dishes are the Pescatore (seafood pasta), garlic bread, calamari salad and pumpkin pie – if we are ordering for more than 2 people we order another pasta dish the squid pasta – prepare to have black ink all over your teeth – and for both pastas we suggest to ask your waiter to add more sauce which will cost you just under a dollar for both pasta dishes.
Jamaican Grill – The Chef is Tim Murphy, an experience cook who used to work for the Leo Palace Hotel restaurant in Chalan Pago. They started off at the Chamorro village and has expanded their restaurant into Tumon, a sign of success.
2000 – Present – Food Courts got bigger at Micronesian Mall, Premium Outlet Mall and Agana Shopping Center & More American Franchise Restaurants – Chiles, Ruby Tuesdays, ….
People are still eating out a lot.. why? Maybe it is cheaper or the new generation of adults just don’t want or don’t know how to cook – or maybe they just grew up eating out instead of eating at home.
Guam Restaurants – Sign Up For Restaurant Discount
Fill the form below with your name and email so that we can let you know when one of our best restaurants in Guam is giving out any discount coupons.Guam Restaurants - Welcome!!,